Two invoices from the 1890’s
Our History – The Early YearsRobinsons was opened in 1874 by John Henry Robinson and John Holden. In its early days it was primarily a general mercantile, what we might call a General Store today. Over the years, the business changed locations and owners several times, always retaining a variation of the original Robinsons name. In the late 1880’s or early 1900’s Sid Robinson bought out Holden and the store was known as J. H. & S. M. Robinson. One interesting form of advertising they used was painting on rocks. In 1931 the name was changed to Robinsons Hardware Company.
Our History – The Middle YearsOn Labor Day weekend of 1963, Norm and Marion Underwood took over ownership of the company. Coinciding with their acquisition of the company, they added a Tay-Lo Rental Franchise making them one of the very first franchisees of what would become known as Taylor Rental in 1965. In 1966 the business expanded into an adjacent store front at 29 Main Street. The business continued to grow and prosper. In April, 1974 the business moved to their current location, a long vacant former Grant’s Department store. Also in 1974 son Dirk left a position with Taylor Rental Corporation to work full-time for his father. He was joined by his brother Kim in 1978. 1978 was also the year Robinsons Hardware left the world of being an independent hardware store and joined the True Value Hardware Cooperative. Jeff Underwood joined his father and brothers at the business in 1982. Business grew through the 80’s and into the 90’s. The business had four strong segments: Hardware (it’s primary focus); Tool Rental; Party Rental and Power Equipment sales and service. In 1996 they acquired another party rental operation and saw the party rental division grow tremendously. The family also mourned the passing family matriarch, Marion Underwood.
Mr. Norm Underwood with Mr. Ron Bissonette (Taylor Rental Corp), Mr. Charlie O’Donnell and Judge August Bonnazzoli
Mr. Norman Underwood and mechanic Douglas Gould when we were located on Main Street in Hudson
Robinsons Hardware and Rental’s current Hudson Location – Circa 1950’s